headspace Townsville provides FREE and confidential counselling and support services to young people aged 12 - 25.
headspace Townsville can help you if you:
- Are feeling down, stressed, or can't stop worrying
- Are being bullied, hurt or harassed
- Want to talk about sexuality, identity or relationships
- Are having difficulties with relationships
- Want to cut down on drinking or other drug use
- Want to see a doctor about your physical or sexual health
- Want help to find a job or get more out of your education.
There is no wrong way to access headspace Townsville and our team is dedicated to making sure young people have the best support, information, and services for their health and wellbeing.
- Monday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
headspace Townsville is operated by Northern Australia Primary Health Limited. All headspace services are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, Northern Queensland (Mackay Hospital and Health Services).
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Sexual health screenings on site or links to local services.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
Centres have a range of programs and activities for young people. Just ask your centre what they have on.
GPs can help with any physical health issues as well as issues related to sexual health, drug or alcohol use, relationship problems or feeling down or upset. Your centre may have a GP on site or links to one locally.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug issue.
A group of young people who help with events and some decision making at a centre. Ask your centre about getting involved.
If you are aged 12 to 25 there is no wrong way to access headspace Townsville. You can call us to make an appointment or you can talk to you Doctor about a referral.
Accessing headspace Townsville is free with a valid Medicare card. If you don't have a Medicare card and think you may be eligible, you can apply for one on the Human Services page -
If you are wanting to refer a young person to headspace Townsville or require a copy of our agency referral form, please give us a call on 07 4799 1799 or you can find it on our homepage. If you're not able to phone us, or if you don't feeling comfortable, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details and a headspace Townsville team member will get back to you either by phone or email.
You can also contact eheadspace, a free online and phone support service for young people, on 1800 650 890 or visit eheadspace.org.au to have a confidential chat online
If you are in crisis please contact emergency services:
Acute Care Team - 07 4433 3000
24hr Mental Health Care (Qld health) - 1300 642 255
Suicide Call Back Service - 1300 659 467
Kids Help Line - 1800 55 1800
Lifeline Australia - 13 11 14
headspace Townsville has a number of groups that provide a safe and friendly space for you to get to meet new friends, develop skills, and generally have fun! No fees involved!
Shine - for young women aged 15 - 25 Tuesday fortnights 5.30pm - 7.30pm
Rainbow - for young people who identify as gender or sexually diverse aged 15 - 25. Wednesday fortnights 5.30pm - 7.30pm.
Men's group - for young men aged 15 - 25 Wednesday fortnights 5.30pm - 7.30pm.
Jamm Time - for young people aged 12 - 17 Thursday fortnights 3.30pm - 5.00pm.
*for further information of when these groups are running please contact headspace Townsville
To keep up to date with what's on when, head to our Facebook page.
Talks, Presentations and Workshops
headspace Townsville have a range of talks, presentations and workshops that can be delivered to young people aged 12 to 25 on youth mental health topics. Some of these include;
- Meet headspace
- An introduction to Mental Health
- Tips for a Healthy headspace
- Depression and Anxiety
- Help Seeking Behaviours
- Social Media Safety
These presentations and workshops can be tailored for school staff, parents and service providers. If you would like headspace Townsville to attend your school or organisation, please fill out the request form here and email to email@example.com
Once we receive your request, one of our team members make contact with you to discuss further. Please note that our Community Awareness Team experiences high demand of request and may take up to 5 business day to get back to you.
headspace Townsville have experienced Holyoake DRUMBEAT facilitator that can deliver the program to your school group or organisation. The Holyoake DRUMBEAT program is a 10 week program designed to build resilience through rhythm. The program strongly focuses on reducing social isolation by increasing social skills so people can better engage with the world around them. This program is best suited to groups of 6 to 15, please contact us to discuss options for larger groups.
Once we receive your request, one of our Holyoake DRUMBEAT facilitators will make contact with you to discuss further. Please note that our Holyoake DRUMBEAT facilitators experiences high demand of request and may take up to 5 business day to get back to you.
Youth Advisory Crew headspace Townsville
Are you aged between 15 and 25 and live in Townsville or surrounds? Do you have something to say about health, mental health, and drug and alcohol issues?
We want you to apply if:
- You have had your own experiences of feeling depressed, anxious or another mental health issue.
- You have a friend or family member who has/or had a mental illness or drug addiction.
- You feel passionate about and are interested in mental health issues.
To be fully representative of our local youth the voices of Indigenous young people, young people from different cultural backgrounds, young people from rural and remote areas, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender young people and young people who have been homeless are encouraged to apply.
How do I get involved?
Complete the application form:
- email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- post - PO Box 4661 Kirwan QLD 4817
- hand in – Riverway, Pioneer Park, Village Boulevard, Thuringowa Central
headspace Townsville has a range of staff you can come see including:
- Steven - Centre Manager
- Dr. Kingsley - GP/Psychotherapist
- Dr. Syed Shah- Consultant Psychiatrist
Youth Access Team
- Ashlea- Youth Access Clinician
- Sydnee- Youth Access Clinician
- Liam- Youth Access Clinician
Youth and Community Engagement
- Nicky- Community Development Lead
- Dylan - Youth Worker
- Eugene- Shedspace Project Manager
Jobs in Mind- Individual Placement Support
- Dan- Program Coordinator
- Deb- Vocational Specialist
- Dylan- Vocational Specialist
- Gillian - Clinical Lead
- Barbara - Senior Mental Health Clinician
- Sandy- Senior Mental Health Clinician
- Rachel- Senior Mental Health Clinician
- Braden - Mental Health Clinician
- Erin- Mental Health Clinician Suicide Prevention
- Rhiaan - Referral Processing Officer
- Nicole - Referral Processing Officer
- Jane - Admin/ Medical Receptionist
- Tricia - Medical Receptionist
- Ann - Medical Receptionist
Animal Assisted Therapy
- Ollie - Spoodle